Sunday, June 15, 2014

New Life

I walked into the almost empty coffee shop, almost empty, because not including the waitress, there was only an older man sitting with a newspaper, sipping at a cup of coffee. I took a seat near the door, where I could see almost the entire room.
It didn't take long for the waitress, a young smiling woman with blonde hair in a bob style, to walk over to me, and ask what I wanted.
Coffee, I told her. That's all. I wasn't hungry, I just wanted to walk around this new, unfamiliar town, get used to the feel of it. While I waited for my cup of coffee, I glanced again at the old man. He smiled at me, then gestured at the table. I nodded my head, and the man got up, and with his cup, came and sat down opposite me.
What's your name? was the first thing he asked, and I answered almost right away. Lysandra Pyfer, new person in town. He introduced himself as Raymond Castle, the man who owned the local grocery store.
It didn't take me long to open up to this man, he was friendly, and seemed eager to learn about me. I told him about my old town, and how I used to write all the newspaper articles for the town. It was fairly small, so there wasn't much news to begin with, we mostly covered things the local high school did, and any community events.
He asked about my family, who they were, and where they were from. I answered with a lie I had come up with prior to moving. My mum and dad lived in England, and my baby sister, Jacklyn, went to a boarding school in Ireland. In reality though, I had no family. They all abandoned me as a baby. I hated the people who adopted me, and was quite glad to learn of their untimely demise two years past.
When he asked why I moved there, I almost gave in and told the truth, but where would that get me? Probably stuck in a police station somewhere, explaining to the police why my ex boyfriend was on my bedroom floor, a pair of safety scissors in his neck. Instead, I told him that I wanted a fresh start, which was still true.
We sat for almost two hours, sipping on coffee and talking. Though the more we talked, the more I felt guilty about lying. It wasn't one of my strong points to keep a secret, and this one was proving to be just as difficult as every other secret I'd kept. Like my best friend getting pregnant at sixteen, and she'd asked me not to tell anyone, or when I was seventeen, and I started smoking.
Soon though, Raymond announced that he had to leave, and welcomed me to the town once more before he paid for both our coffees and left. I didn't stick around the coffee shop, instead leaving for my new apartment.
Inside, instead of feeling freedom, I felt small, and crushed. The house was suffocating me. Who knew that lying to one old man, would make someone feel like this.
I wanted it to end. I wanted the guilt to end. As I looked around my apartment, my eyes landed on one thing that would help me. My sleeping pills. A long nap, that's all it would take.
As I dumped some of the small white pills into my hand, I swallowed two of them. Then after five minutes, I wasn't sleepy yet, so I swallowed two more. It continued until I'd downed almost eighteen.
Now I was feeling tired. I slumped over to the side, my head was resting on the cool linoleum, and darkness swept over me. The memory of my ex boyfriends blank face filled my mind, and it was the last thing I would ever see.

0 comments:

Post a Comment